Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Sheriff Sign Dispute

Yesterday, Champaign County Sheriff candidate Gregory Worrell accused his opponent's supporters of theft while calling them cronies attempting to hurt his campaign. From the News-Gazette yesterday:
Time and time again, I have had to replace my "Elect Worrell Sheriff" signs, bright yellow with red lettering, posted in various locations throughout Rantoul, Champaign and Sidney.

I understand high winds bending signs and sometimes causing them to lie down on the ground. But there has been no wind when I have had to replace signs two or three times where they were pulled out of the ground and nowhere to be found.

Three signs in one location have been uprooted on three different occasions, sometimes within a day or two. This is truly juvenile and out-right theft.

My great supporters are not doing it, and concerned citizens and true adults are not. This only leaves some cronies of my opponent who must feel I am a real threat to becoming the real deal as their new Champaign County sheriff.

Champaign County voters, please do not support anyone who is condoning an outright theft of my personal property. My motto is "protecting what you value most." Come March 20, vote from your hearts.

GREGORY A. WORRELL

His opponent, Sheriff candidate Jones had a scathing retort today:


And from WCIA (video interviews). Worrell claims he didn't mean to accuse his opponent, in spite of directly saying it was a reason not to vote for him, and asks that people call him instead of removing signs themselves:
He posted on Facebook, writing "You surely do not want anyone in a top post who condones stealing oponnents [sic] signs. The fact of the matter is that someone is feeling threatened by my success right now."

Worrell also wrote a Letter to the Editor, accusing his opponent's "cronies" of having something to do it.

When we asked him about his accusations, he said he doesn't actually have any proof of who could be responsible.

"I don't want to accuse my opponent, and I put in there about cronies, and maybe I was misjudged about that," he says, "And I want to clear-- Allen Jones, I'm sure he would never have a part of that."

"You know what, it's a distraction," says Jones, "It's not necessary."

Jones says Worrell owes him and his supporters an apology.

"I don't have cronies," says Jones, "I do have friends that have supported me and asked for my signs. And have had him place his signs on their property, and they have removed them."

Jones believes Worrell has been putting his signs in places where they're not allowed, or hasn't been getting permission.

"He's an inexperienced politician," says Jones, "A misinformed person, someone who hasn't made available to themselves the opportunity of learning what the rules are and the etiquette of the campaign, and to go mudslinging like that's just very disingenuous."

Worrell insists he does ask permission for every place he puts them.

"Whoever's taking signs, please don't do that," says Worrell, "If they want me to have my signs removed, just call me, I'll take them out. I have no problem with that."

Other than that, both men say their campaigns are going great. Jones says his experience, leadership, and track record of solutions in his current role at the sheriff's office make him the right choice. Worrell says it's time for a change, and that his communication skills and ideas give him the edge.
More information on candidates on the ballot in Champaign County here. The Cheat Sheet's information on the County Sheriff's race specifically here.

No comments:

Post a Comment